The tram car bearing no. 411 is the oldest tram still running in Europe today.
When SOCIETA’ ANONIMA DELLE PICCOLE FERROVIE opened the service in question in 1902,
this car was given the number 1, as the first of an initial fleet of 6 trams .
The mechanical parts were built by GRAZEN UNION FABRIK, which also constructed
trams for SOCIETA’ DEL TRAMWAY ELETTRICO COMUNALE in Trieste, whilst the electrical
components were provided by OSTERREICHISCHE UNION ELEKTRICITATS GESELLSCHAFT.
The outside was different from its present appearance, as the two driver's cabins had
been designed without any protection at all for the driver, who thus found himself exposed
to the elements.
In bad weather the driver therefore had to wear a large waterproof cape,
with which he protected both himself and the controls.
Howewer, a few years later, in around 1908, windscreens were installed in the
driver's cabins, while the chassis was slightly lengthened a little later still,
in order to increase the original capacity of 44 passengers.
With the introduction of bogie raicars in around 1937 (still in use today), this car
was withdrawn from service and converted into a support car, providing assistance in
case of breakdown to a railcar (towing) and for repairs to the overhead cable (for
which a special platform was added to the roof).